January 4, 2010

where your treasure is...

This is just sad. In a world where so many long to read God's word in their own language, where people starve, are neglected and abused, an American man is prized for his ability to sit for 2 days straight. And somehow, that is admirable, all for the sake of prize money and free cable. No wonder people all over the world consider Americans to be ignorant and selfish.

Might that not be the case with all of us.
"All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word." Isa. 66:2
I don't tremble at God's word enough. He's teaching me, and bringing me back to that place. For too long, I, and I believe many, have simply become callous to the very words of God. Instead of craving his word and rushing to it, we convince ourselves that couch potato contests are worth recognition and fame.

Might we tremble at God's word again, that we'd run after him regardless of others' opinions. Might we eagerly anticipate the next chance to read his very words. Might they move us to be about more than laziness, selfishness and ignorance. Ruin us, Lord, for your glory and our joy.

No comments: